NOTHING CHANGES IF NOTHING CHANGES
If you do not like the outcome of your business routine, then change it. As I plan out my blog posts for the upcoming year of 2018, I have decided not to write about new beginnings in January.
Look. You have got to start new habits that will grow you and your business NOW. Doing so will put you in the groove to maintain those habits and be closer to your goals within a few months.
What it is that you want to do? Don't start by making a list of everything you have promised yourself that you would have and should have accomplished. Start by writing down where you want your business to be in one year.
Write down up to 3 points.
Now write down what you feel you have to do to attain them.
Do you have to build your email list? Do you have to network? Do you have to market your brand more effectively and see a return on investment?
Write down up to 6 of these points. Don't panic. This is not a to do list for the week.
Now, pick the top 2 from this list. That will be your focus. Let me share an example. My own personal example.
I have an email list. It's pretty small, but I didn't have one last year. So on that note, I have given myself a pat on the back and have made this one of my priorities. Grow the list! I have been standing in my own way. I do have content to put out a bi-weekly newsletter. I share upcoming news about my company, and I have my blog content to repurpose for my newsletters. My newsletters will not be overwhelming. I don't wear "overwhelm" well. I will Share (briefly) what's up in the world of social media, I will repurpose my content with link to my blog and share a bit of self promotion.
My next area of focus is networking. I can't hide behind my laptop and smartphone. I need to get out there and meet people of like minds. People who I can build a community with, who will motivate me, create friendships and if they need my services or refer me then it's a bonus. So, I have found an evening networking event as I have difficulty attending the many that take place in the morning. It happens 1-2 times per month.
And there you go. I have many goals. But these are the critically important ones that when (not if) are done consistently will help me to leverage my business and set me up for the next 2 goals.
So last year I didn't place a huge focus on my blog. And I would complain that no one was finding my site. I had less 300 page views per month. Google Analytics showed me that when I did get a visitor to my site, they would be off within seconds. So my goal in the later part of the year was to blog at least once per week and I did so. And for the most part still do. Now I have over 1400 page views per month.
Now I have tonnes of content to share in my upcoming newsletters. I have content that I can share on this platform that you are on.
See what happens when you keep it simple and achieve small wins? You are set up for success and your next round of goals become more easier.
Nothing Changes If Nothing Changes.
I blog about best practices, but there are times when I have to get real and let you know how I have applied these practices to myself. I go through them too. And like you - I have to overcome them.
Nothing Changes If Nothing Changes.
You Can Be The Change.
Where do you want to be with your business. What are the two goals that you MUST start today?
Last week I attended my very first networking event. It was hosted by Heart Of Networking. They are a small business community designed for connection, education and opportunity.
Patrice Esper the keynote speaker for the day gave an inspiring speech about how to stop putting off our small business goals. I was moved. Probably because like many, I sometimes create my own roadblocks when it comes to starting a major task in my business. I frantically took notes during Patrice's presentation. I felt that this was a blog post I had to share.
Do you want to start a business? Is it time to launch a product or service? Do you find that now is never the right time? Why?
Here are 5 tips to help you through the struggle of getting started
1. Ask Yourself... What is Preventing You From Doing It Now?
Is it fear of the unknown? There is a risk of doing something new. However; instead of focusing on fears based on emotions, focus on legitimate concerns only. Then create an action plan to address and minimize those legitimate concerns.
2. Ask Yourself... What Pleasure Will You Experience Doing It Now / What Pain Will You Go Through for years to come if You Don't Do It Now?
On paper, create two columns and write down the answers to these questions. If you do it, will you feel accomplished, proud, happy? If you don't, will you feel like you will be ever stuck in a job you don't love?
3. What Commitment Will You Make To Yourself?
And now the goal setting begins. Make a goal, write it down and make sure you include the date of completion. Your goals should be measurable.
Example: I will attend 3 networking events by November 30th.
4. Be Consistent
Bring the right attitude and you will choose the right approach. Spread joy, love more, be positive. Do this repeatedly and you will attain empowerment to do great things.
5. Cultivate Connections
Engage, and get to know people. Start building relationships by keeping in touch with who you meet. Call your new connections, and show support. Let them know that you believe in them and how awesome they are.
Remember. Not only are you in control of your actions, you also have the power to do anything you want. Take the above steps towards establishing your small business and it will be a constant reminder why you got started.
What has been your obstacle for not starting? What are you going to start now?
Happy New Year! Dee Boswell-Buck is accepting submission for our Valentine Gift Ideas: 10 Gifts The Entrepreneur Will Love. The Dee Boswell-Buck Small Business Blog and Gift Guides are a great compliment for each other. Items and Services accepted will only be included for the niche market of the Small Business Owners and Entrepreneurs. Products and Services listed must be available to U.S. and Canadian residents.
How will 10 Gifts The Entrepreneur Will Love benefit your brand?
I am passionate about small business and Start-Ups and love to share valuable information this market can use. I believe in word of mouth advertising and have the social media platforms to share it on. I will only include products and services in this gift guide that my readers will appreciate. The hashtag for this gift guide will be #DBBGifts2017. Social Media Platforms used to promote this Gift Guide:
• 3 gifts under $25
• 4 gifts under $50
• 3 gifts over $80
Gift Guide Categories:
• tech gifts
• geeky gifts
• office gifts
• make-up / toiletries
• for him
• for her
***We are accepting only one App in this Gift Guide
Products and information must be received by January 26th. The Gift Guide will begin posting January 30th, 2017 and will be promoted until February 10, 2017. Please send items and information required well in advance for posts and giveaways to be planned appropriately. Products are added to the guide as they are received. The earlier your products are accepted and received, the more promotion it will receive.
Exposure Your Brand Will Receive:
1. Gift Guide Mention- Up to 2 sentences. 1 high res image provided by you. 1 product link. Social media exposure of post on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (5 relevant hashtags included), No product sent requirement. Please contact for pricing.
2. Product Review- My reviews will include an original photo of me using the product. The post will include two links to your website (one to your site, one to product page). Where to purchase this product. Social media exposure of post on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (15+ relevant hashtags included). Inclusion on 2017 Lovely Gift Guide Pinterest Board. You must send one , new in box, full size product that I can use and will be included in my disclosure policy. Please contact for pricing.
3. Featured Sponsored Post- You are not required to submit a product. I must receive two high res product images, 2 links (one to your site, one to product page), your key message. Where to purchase this product. Your featured post will be created from this information. Social media exposure of post on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (15+ relevant hashtags included). Inclusion on Gift Guide Pinterest Board. Please contact for pricing.
4. Giveaways- Giveaways can be hosted for your brand as part of our Gift Guide. Giveaways increase reader interest and drive more traffic to your website. Your Giveaway may be for product or a gift certificate. You are responsible for shipping your prize to the winner. This includes any shipping and/or duty fees of all items from the review and the prizes. Must be a value of $30 or more: Includes what is listed in option 3 plus: 1 link to product on your company Facebook Page. Requirement for contestants to post 1 comment on blog post and 1 on Facebook product link why they would like to win. Contest will run for 1 week with 5 reminders on my Facebook page, Twitter and Instagram. Boswell-Buck Freelance is not responsible for shipping prizes. Please contact for pricing.
For our 2017 Valentine's Small Business Gift Guide submission you can email to DBBGiftguide with Love DBBGG in the Subject. Please include your company name and image of item to be considered and category of product. Media Kits will be available upon request.