Not everyone has the luxury of walking away from a full-time job to start a small business. That job may help to maintain a home, pay debt, contribute to the family lifestyle and so on. Of course this does not stop you from burning the midnight oil as you work on your entrepreneurship goals. Unfortunately this may not be enough to get you to the finish line.
My goal is self-employment and 10 clients in 8 months. The question is how do I get there? This week I am reaching out to some of the small business owners I know. The question... What would you tell someone starting a new business?
Here is a list of the most compelling answers that I consider to be "keeping it real":
- Be prepared and know that most of your time will be spent working on your business as opposed to in your business. (networking, promoting, meetings with "potential" clients, finding clients etc.)
- Quite often you won't have more time. You'll have less. Days will be started much earlier and end much later.
- No excuses. You have to network. Even as you work in your current 9-5 and you go home to your family, and work on your business venture. Head out and meet other entrepreneurs and walk the talk. You know... Like you don't have a 9-5 and that your dream job is THE 9-5 you have going on.
- Still remember to set aside time for family, chores, doctor appointments
- Set up an emergency fund
- Come up with a 12 month plan for your business pertaining to marketing, client acquisition, collaborations etc
- Don't leave until you have a steady client base. Work on your business while you have your income security
After receiving this response I was so glad I asked. I will admit that I now question my 8 month time frame, but I have to goal set. I kind of feel like I am already strapped for time, but there is no getting around it. I have to get out there and network. Knowing what I know does not make this process easier. If anything... I am informed which allows me to prepare.
What additional advice do you have? Was there one listed that resonated with you?
Dee Boswell-Buck is a certified digital marketing strategist and the founder of Boswell-Buck Creative Consulting. BBCC provides full-service social media management, PPC / Google Advertising, Social Media / Facebook Ads, SEO (Search Engine Optimization) , Web Design, Online Audits.
For more information on services and how to work with us, please click HERE.