Should have. Could have. Would have.
My business is up and running phew! I work with many start-ups and small businesses owners. I love the passion, but I also recognize what may not work. What does work is goal setting. #sorryNotsorry. It has to be done. This week's blog post is about setting up a plan to put you on the track to achieving progress in your business in year one and can also be used for the business owner who is looking for techniques to focus and attain new goals.
Create A 3 Month / 6 Month / 1 year business plan
Many business owners get caught up in the trap of "preparing" to launch their business. I call it a trap because often the launch gets pushed back because "It's not the perfect time." perhaps your website is delayed, your business cards are not perfect, one of your product items are not ready.
Before you start your business:
List out your launch date as the hard date (the must do) and then list out your tasks to be completed in order to launch. Now work backwards.
Where do you want to be in 1 year?
• Is it about the amount of clients you wish to have?
• Your take home or how a total of products or services sold?
• Is it that you want to leave the day job and do your dream job full-time?
Write It Down!
3 months Where do you want to be?
This is where you write down and no more than 2 action items for your business that will take you to the next level of where you would like to be at the end of 3 months. They could be:
• setting up your social media profiles and sharing posts that will assist you to your goals of more page views, email list building, sales on your site or leads.
• Attending a certain number of Networking events to connect with the right people and allow you build the right connections.
• Listing out everyone that you meet that inquired about your business, or that you connected with at an event and studying why did a sale go through with some and why it it did not go through with others. This allows you to work towards being able to point out who your target customer is sooner than later.
6 Months Where do you want to be?
This is where you write down and no more than 2 action items for your business that will take you to the next level of where you would like to be at the end of 6 months. They could be:
• A website rebrand. Now that you have been in business for 3 months you are a bit wiser. You know exactly who your target customer is and are more clear on how to reach them.
• You want to have more visitors going back to your site as opposed to staying on your social media platforms. Social media is like the blind date. They like you... Now it's time to get them to get them to your home for the romantic dinner.
• Start a blog. This adds current content to your website and shows your site visitors that you are definitely open for business. It is also great for your SEO. Google loves fresh content!
• Rethink how you connect with leads. Can you stream line your process and meet them via Zoom, Skype or Facebook face to face chat?
Now I have not listed a 9 month plan.
At this point the this is the perfect opportunity to revisit the goals that you have listed and are working on. Do they need some tweaking? Do you have to pivot a little to get back on track? Are they moving you towards the one year goal?
Is there a goal that should be dropped? Maybe it is not working. As you build your business, you do find at times that something is not working or not as important. And that is OK. There is no shame in this. It's is awesome if you can spot this and be big enough to move your attention elsewhere. You can add another goal as long as it is not one that distracts and it helps you to the next level at the end of the year. Or you can just lighten the load and focus only on the current goals.
I hope you found value in this post. I myself am working on a Service Launch for January 2018. If you click this link you will be the first to know about it in January. It is under wraps but as a thank you for joining my list you will be sent an exclusive Promo Code a month before launch.
So are you a start-up or established business? What are some of the action items that you will be doing to get you to the next level? Please share in the comments below!